Morrison comments on Aukus fallout – as it happened | Australia News


This now from the AAP:

Charged drug lord Mostafa Baluch did not attempt bail for a second time after allegedly cutting off his ankle monitor before police found him trying to cross Queensland.

The fugitive was shackled and brought back from the Gold Coast to Sydney on Thursday evening under police surveillance before his case was called on Friday morning.

Magistrate Margaret Quinn confirmed in central local court that his bail was formally revoked after prosecutors filed new charges to ensure he remained in jail.

The Northern Beaches restaurateur is being held in Silverwater during a period of quarantine, Acting NSW Corrective Services Commissioner Kevin Corcoran told 2GB radio on Friday.

He confirmed that Baluch would then be transferred to Goulburn Supermax prison.

“They will be watching him very closely,” Corcoran said.

Before being released on bail for the first time, he was already considered an “extreme high security inmate, with Corcoran saying this could also be upgraded.”

“He’s been very compliant so far,” he said.

Baluch’s desperate attempt for freedom came to an end when he was found hiding in a gray Mercedes concealed in a shipping container carried in the back of a truck.

More than two weeks earlier, police said Baluch cut off an ankle monitor while on bail and started “one of the biggest fugitive hunts in the country.”

Police allege he was planning to flee Queensland overseas.

Defense lawyer Moustafa Kheir said his client did not need to appear by video link on Friday and confirmed that he would not seek bail.

He declined to comment outside of court, as the case will be called on December 1.

Baluch is charged with a series of drug offenses relating to a shipment of 900 kg of cocaine to Australia with a market value of $ 270 million.

Following an intelligence, Queensland officers searched dozens of trucks before focusing on the container after noticing it was not properly secured.

After a night at the Southport Watchhouse, Baluch’s extradition request was granted without objection.

Wearing green prison clothes, with hand and leg restrictions, Baluch left Southport around 1 p.m. under police escort.

He was taken to Coolangatta Airport and transported by PolAir6 – a Cessna Grand Caravan – to Bankstown Airport.

Prior to his arrest in Queensland, the accused pivot was last seen in Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches on October 25, days after being released on bail.

He was released on strict conditions, including a $ 4 million bail for a waterfront house in Bayview.

The man driving the truck Baluch was found in – which police say owns a transport business – was also arrested.

The 46-year-old was charged with committing an act aimed at perverting the course of justice and refused bail.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.